Search This Blog

Saturday, September 17, 2011

One Week Later.....

..... and a whole mess of photos.

The photo opertunities on this coast are truly endless.  Maybe it's just because it's so different from what I'm used to seeing.  Who knows why a shot will occure to someone?  I could get all philosophical here, but I think I'll just show you some pictures and see what you think.

First though - I want to thank Jeri for shooting the above picture of me.  It's one of the few where I'm not holding a camera or looking hopelessly confused or laughing.  I do laugh a lot...... life cracks me up.  In this one I just look a little lost.  It's the way I feel most of the time.  I sometimes think for me, being lost is being home.

Little Scottie wants to know what lenses I'm using for panos so I'll add that info today.  They are all "prime" or fixed focal length lenses.  In other words they don't zoom.  The focal lengths are all "full frame"  Same for Canon, Nikon or any other full frame 35mm camera.  The 35mm is this amazing old Nikon lens that has a warming filter built in.  I love the look of photos taken with that lens so I guess I'd say that's my favorite.

When you choose a lens for a pano, you choose the focal length to fit the vertical space you want to depict.  You can always add levels to add height - but that will change the look of your pano.  The more I shoot these things the more control I feel I have.  I'm addicted big time!!


35mm f/1.4 lensNotice how there's no major distortion here,  If you keep the angle straight and stay a good distance away from your front photo elements - you can avoid that distorted look.






35mm f/1.4 lens - up close and distorted on purpose.







Doing things on purpose is big with me.

Ok, check this out - 2 shots of the same thing with 2 different lenses:

180mm f/2.8


35mm again
Remember - telephoto lenses compress the elements.  That's why I chose the 180 for the first shot.  For the second - I wanted the elongation and greater depth of field.  Don't get hung up with the pano thing - always choose your lens for all of the features it provides.

Here's another compression shot taken behind the motel in Camden:

105mm f/2.8


Ok - you get the idea...... here are some lighthouses.  There are lots more.....

35mm f/1.4
105mm f/2.8
35mm f/1.4
35mm again  Barbara found this angle last time.  I loved her shot so I tried the pano from there.
Also 35mm,   It is so cool how the swing of the pano changes the placement of the elements!








These are just a few of the many panos taken this week - hope you like them.  I gotta go do nothing for a while.  Ria and I had a great week together.  Her shots are beautiful!!  The group is coming Monday and I need some snooze time!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment